Cape Hope Foundation
On Friday May 10, more than 200 generous souls gathered in the sparkling showrooms of JMC Launceston to help raise money for St Giles and other Northern charities.
On May 28 the Foundation donated $24,000 to St Giles, the final installment to complete our Amy Road Therapy Garden.
The foundation was established in 2012 with the ambition to fund prudent programs for the betterment of our community.
Last year the Foundation donated $26,000 towards St Giles Outdoor Therapy Garden.
CAPE HOPE 2013 SPONSOR LIST: Woolcock Partners; Shields Heritage, Ruddicks Accountants; Jackson Motor Company; Hudson Civil Products; Bell Bay Aluminiium, Winmoor Pty Ltd; TP Jones; Jack and Lyn Bain; Denis and Liz Tucker; Glass Supplies; Bendigo Bank; Shadforth Financial Group; TG Financial; Haywards; Scope Insurance Brokers; Dr Andrew Patrick; Launceston Mitsubishi; Dr Bob Jensen; Tasmanian Alkaloids; Access Group; Randall Heating and Ventilation; John Roddick; Steve King; Dale Luck; Finney Funeral Services; Saunders Wool; Launceston Toyota; Capital Chemist; Allans Garden Centre; B&D Builders; Godfrey Pembroke; Pellows Saws and Mowers; The Pump Shed; Tasma Upholsterers; Grant Spencer; Nichols Poultry; Huon Aquqculture; Get Wines Direct; BOAGS Brewery; Foot and Playsted , and, B&D Roll-a-Door
How St Giles Began
A public meeting in Launceston on December 13, 1937 formed the Society for the Care of Crippled Children - Launceston.
Within six months the group had raised $24,000, bought an orchard at Amy Road, Newstead and changed the society's name to
(The Patron Saint of Cripples and Blacksmiths)
Among the group, were doctors John Ramsay, Clifford Craig and Lach Hardy-Wilson who undertook a survey that identified a great need for care and support for all children with disability.
By December 1938, St Giles founders determined to meet the ongoing needs of these children wherever it was identified.
"It must be remembered that this work will not be finished in a few years, but is one which will have to be continued indefinitely ..''
AE Wyett and Tom Room, Annual Report, December 1938